View Single Post
Old 07-19-2005, 11:50 AM

Default Re: bluffing in micro limits

[ QUOTE ]
These days, the furthest I'll take a pure bluff is if I raise preflop with high unpaired cards and the flop misses me completely (like raising with AQo and the flop coming 369 rainbow), I'll bet and usually raise on the flop to represent a high pocket pair (although I doubt that they interpret it as such).

[/ QUOTE ]

A bet with big overcards on a ragged flop is often a value bet. Pay attention to the flop texture.

[ QUOTE ]
If I get called or re-raised, that's the last penny I am putting into that pot. More often than not, I get called, and it's money lost to someone who is married to his bottom pair or marginal draw (and with enough opponents chasing draws, at least one of them will make theirs).

[/ QUOTE ]

This play depends on the size of the pot. If there were many players on the flop, you can usually call the raise and the see the turn. Bet-folding flops like this with overcards is a generally stupid thing to do. If there are lots and lots of players in the pot and you're OOP, just check-call the flop.

The way it sounds, you have classic weak-tight overcard tendencies. You want to be 'aggressive' so you bet, but you give up under the slightest bit of resistance (or even if you just get called). You need to rethink your approach to overcards.

Why do you raise them preflop? Why do you bet them on the flop?

[ QUOTE ]
Since players come and go pretty fast and you don't really have time to learn their playing styles, and they will play a wide variety of hands, you just don't have enough information to bluff at them intelligently.

[/ QUOTE ]

You would be surprised how much information you can get in 30 hands against a loose player if you're paying attention...