View Single Post
Old 07-19-2005, 10:18 AM

Default Re: $1/$2 NLHE $100.00 Buy In with Two maniacs at the table

[ QUOTE ]
There is no way to beat these players, unless you move up limits.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bzzt. Your statement might be correct if you substitute "without considerable bankroll swings" for "unless you move up limits."

The way to beat these players is to play them as much as you can, by offering yourself the best possible odds that you can at all times, and by being prepared for some swings.

Suppose for a moment you're playing NLHE against me. I have a very simple pre-flop strategy: if it's folded to me pre-flop, I open for ten times the big blind; post-flop I'm less predictable but tend toward over-aggression. Playing against me would be frustrating, yes, because seeing a hand through to the end is much more expensive than would be expected at whatever stakes we were playing. But, I could be easily beaten over the long term. For example, you could raise less and call more to get me to build pots for you, and you could deploy the limp-reraise with your huge starting hands to take advantage of my pre-flop mania.

Occasionally, I would drag huge, lucky pots with junk, but most of the time your good starting hands would beat my random starting hands, and over time, the probability that I would go broke gradually but inexorably approaches 1.