View Single Post
Old 07-19-2005, 07:11 AM

Default Re: Bottom set vs. Calling station, what\'s my turn line?

Dude,

IMHO you have made a HORRIBLE call preflop. It is double suited, so I guess if you gotta dog you've got a Great Dane puppy, but think about it:

1. There is ALMOST no way that you have the best hand or one that is not reasonably outdrawn.

2. The button has VERY shallow money, so even if you outdraw him, your big win will be $4.50.

3. You are out of position with a hand that it would be charitable to describe as marginal.

4. You are building bottom set with this hand. As Bob Ciaffone has said about bottom set:
[ QUOTE ]
Many players do not realize how bad small sets really are, because the psychology of the situation causes them to improperly evaluate the hand. Small sets win a fair number of pots, but they seldom win big pots. They very often lose big pots!...Don't build hands that may well have only one out if you want to be a successful Omaha player. Dump those small pairs.

[/ QUOTE ]

5. You have another player to act behind him. So, even if you are thinking about "isolating" this tilted player with your stunning 5's ds (sorry for the sarcasm - I've done this myself before), you very well may not be able to do it, and he (the bb) is very capable of taking all your money.

I have posted a couple of times here to the effect that the way to make money in low buy in PLO is nut peddling, pure and simple. It isn't sexy, it isn't very exciting, but, from my extensive experience in this, it is very profitable.

Save your money for another hand.

Now, for the specific question, I'm pretty sure, having gotten this far, at this point, I would make a pot sized raise as nothing the bb is doing is screaming set. You likely have the best hand, but may be easily overtaken, so protect that puppy Great Dane of a hand of yours.

With Regards,

Will