View Single Post
Old 07-19-2005, 01:59 AM

Default Re: Article: If poker is sport, it\'s time to fold

sport (spôrt, sprt)
n.

1. Physical activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively.
2. A particular form of this activity.
2. An activity involving physical exertion and skill that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often undertaken competitively.
3. An active pastime; recreation.
1. Mockery; jest: He made sport of his own looks.
2. An object of mockery, jest, or play: treated our interests as sport.
3. A joking mood or attitude: She made the remark in sport.
1. One known for the manner of one's acceptance of rules, especially of a game, or of a difficult situation: a poor sport.
2. Informal. One who accepts rules or difficult situations well.
3. Informal. A pleasant companion: was a real sport during the trip.
6. Informal.
1. A person who lives a jolly, extravagant life.
2. A gambler at sporting events.
7. Biology. An organism that shows a marked change from the normal type or parent stock, typically as a result of mutation.
8. Maine. See summercater. See Regional Note at summercater.
9. Obsolete. Amorous dalliance; lovemaking.

<font color="green"> I am not saying that I think poker is a sport but I do think there could be two classifications of sport.

One where there is physical exertion involved. Another would be something that is a pastime or game that people compete in. You cant just call it a hobby, people dont compete in building model trains (or do they?).

Poker, Chess, Darts, Bowling, Spelling Bees, Billiards; a new category of sport. This way people who were in football in high school dont get pissed when someone calls poker a sport.

Just a thought. </font>