View Single Post
Old 07-19-2005, 12:00 AM

Default Re: maybe a stupid question, but I\'m curious

[ QUOTE ]
Not having position sucks here.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't agree in this particular instance.. . .I'm inclined to take adanthar's line:

[ QUOTE ]
A call is standard here . . . you will have effective position on almost any flop the SB doesn't love, because you will check dark.

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually fully intended to call this hand, but was in the BB at two separate tables at exactly the same time, brain cramped up, and I mucked my cards at the wrong table.. .got me thinking about if that was a bad thing or not.

My stack, the blind size, and this particular situation just begs for a flat call. It is expected that both the SB and BB will check around to the button, who will proceed to make a C bet just to have the blinds fold. A "typical" button raises to t60 or t75 preflop with a monster wanting a call . ..the t95 bet looks more like a slight overbet on a weak steal.

I think that the flop will pretty much play itself after a call. I would shade both the button and the SB towards the mid Ace, two face, low- to mid- pair range, (with maybe a suited-conny) and the action on the flop should pretty much define both hands. The only really horrible situation is that I hit top pair, but have one of the villans hit either t&b pair or a set.

I call with ~3.6:1 pot odds with the intent of hitting my hand (top pair or better) or check/folding. The odds are only good for the flop, because my hand won't produce a draw worth chasing unless it's a three-flush to my Ace. The betting impetus is completely in the lap of the button, and I have the freedom to play the hand in several different ways if I do catch a good piece.

Why do you call with those odds? The postflop action.

** Dealing Flop ** : [ Qs, Kc, Qc ]
Seat 10 (Btn) bets (175)
Seat 1 (SB) folds.

Action to you. What's your play? (assuming you clicked the right button and called preflop)