View Single Post
Old 07-18-2005, 02:51 PM

Default Re: California School Requiring Ebonics

[ QUOTE ]
In my opinion, no, it is not a problem. I believe the percentage of people who speak no English in this country is very small, and most of those unable to learn English are older and basically illiterate in their native language. Permanent residents who speak no English have had absolutely zero impact on my life, and I challenge you or anyone else to describe the deleterious effects that they, or anyone they know has experienced due to this alleged "problem".

[/ QUOTE ]

I see you point, and didn't mean that is was a problem in the sense that it possesses dire consequences. If someone is content with the inablity to speak the langauge that the vast majority of the country uses to communicate, and is comfortable with the socio-economic limitations that go with that inability, I have no problem with their lack of desire to learn. I do have a problem with education systems who are supposed to be teaching people how to better themselves allowing and encouraging people to avoid learning English. That is a problem.