View Single Post
Old 07-18-2005, 11:10 AM

Default Re: Cash Game Theory

[ QUOTE ]
EDIT: but seriously, you should be willing to play as long as you have a positive expectation at the table. Quit when its time to go home or when you no longer have a postive expectation at that table at that time

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the boiler plate advice about continuing to play a long session is dribble.

Whether you're still awake, or playing well or whatever doesn't matter. After a certain point you need to protect your profits. The cards won't keep hitting you, the bad players at the table will leave, etc.

With enough experience, we can tell when we've hit the wall as far as pushing for more profit. In the stock market, the term would be momentum. The momentum of your game decreases.

You could still have a positive expectation as far as playing the players at the table, but there is still a gut feeling that develops that says 'time to go'.

Leaving the table with a rack or more of profit is always looked at with jealousy. Nobody thinks to themselves "Gee, that guy should have stayed because he had positive expectation." Instead, the thought is "I wish that was me".