View Single Post
Old 07-18-2005, 02:01 AM

Default ergonomic, 99% mouse-free 4-tabling for $40

It looks like I am the first to post on this idea, and therefore perhaps the first to use this strategy.

After rapidly developing RSI 4 tabling with my new 1600 x 1200 resolution capable monitor, I did some searching and playing around and eventually developed a method of playing four tables at once without using a mouse. It involves the following:
- AutoHotKey freeware
- allSnap freeware
- a Nostromo Speedpad n52 (about $40)

The n52 is the key component. Any previous attempts at multi-tabling using keyboard commands proved more stressful than using a mouse.

The basics go like this:

1. Write an AutoHotKey script that assigns key combinations to the mouse clicks that are necessary for common poker actions. For example, Ctrl + Numpad1 = select top left table, or Alt + Numpad3 = click "bet" or "raise."

2. Assign n52 keys to those key combinations, and therefore those mouse clicks, using simple macros. The n52 comes with a very intuitive profile editor that makes this easy.

3. Spend some time on play money tables to acclimate yourself to the key setup you've chosen (and ultimately to see if this system will work for you--if not, return the n52 and your net investment for this experiment is a couple of hours and $0).

4. Play as normal.

The only PartyPoker actions I still have to use the mouse for are joining waitlists, sitting down at tables, and moving tables on my desktop. I may be forgetting a few others, but I make at least 99% of my gameplay actions using the n52.

Although it will probably take you a couple of hours to install and set up AutoHotKey, familiarize yourself with the necessary AutoHotKey script, and set up the n52 profile, the physical learning curve is not steep. In less than 30 minutes, my game play was just as accurate as it was using a mouse, and my speed of action was actually a good deal faster. The n52 has the added advantage of being extremely ergonomic--I have no RSI complaints anymore.

The net result of developing and using this system has been a good deal of time saved and pain relieved. Although it took quite a bit of experimenting and time to tune it to the degree that I have, the AutoHotKey script and n52 profile I provide should give you a shortcut to mouse-free poker in the shortest time possible.

Rather than turn this into a very lengthy post, I have posted the AutoHotKey script and n52 profile I use, plus comprehensive links and more detailed instructions, in my LiveJournal.

http://www.livejournal.com/users/caydenza/44606.html

I disabled comments there, so if you have comments, critiques, or suggestions, please leave them here.