View Single Post
Old 07-17-2005, 02:58 PM

Default Re: Raising PF to get a \"free\" look at the turn

I really do not see any reason to EVER do this. Let's look at the different situations it's going to come up in.

First, the free card play will only be used on a drawing hand. The more people that are in the hand, the more marginal the hand you play can be. After the flop, one of three results will occur:

1. You will have a strong draw or a made hand which can profitably call bets on all streets. By using the free card play, you will lose value on your strong draws unless you put the money in yourself. By doing this you've raised preflop and bet on the flop. Anyone on a weak draw is heading for the hills at that sign of strength.

2. You will have a weak draw which you would not have called for a single bet on the flop. You may get a favorable turn card to give you a stronger draw, but the play will have been unprofitable.

3. You will whiff entirely and have to fold on the turn regardless.

So to me, you lose value with the first result and you spew with options two and three. Further, WeakDraw * MultipleOpponents = VulnerableToBets. Someone may bet the flop anyway when they flop top pair or a strong draw.

I simply don't see any use for this play.