View Single Post
Old 07-17-2005, 12:55 PM

Default Re: Can you learn to beat the low limit game?

[ QUOTE ]
I have no desire to win money at this point.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm...

[ QUOTE ]
I asked because I want to know if it's even possible to to win these games. How else can I get better? If playing .5/1 gets me nowhere because it's more a matter of luck than anything else, why bother playing .5/1?

[/ QUOTE ]

From someone who has been playing cash (at a level 10X below yours--.05/.10), OF COURSE the games are beatable. Do you consider yourself a failure unless you have a winning session?

Why are you fixated on the .50/1 level? If you're looking to improve, step down a level and work on your skills. Read a book. Then move up.

Your post is reminiscent of about 200 on these boards. I think I even posted something like this when I started. Not too knowledgable about the game, bad run, trying to justify it. The fault usually resided with me. Playing too many marginal/submarginal starting hands and going too far with them.

My advice (pretty much taken from SSHE:
1. Limit your starting hands: I don't currently use Poker Tracker or anything like that, but UB gives table stats so I can see how many hands I'm limping/raising. I average about 3-4 hands played per orbit--and that includes sitting in the blinds. Are you doing a lot of calling/cold calling?
2. Improve (and become more agressive) post-flop play. This is where you will make your money. Even I've noticed that I've become more aggressive as of late, and I'm willing to let go of good hands where 5 other people are still in the pot with good draws against me.

Lastly, cards are cards. You WILL eventually have a bad run. Expect it and deal with it. If you're having a bad session and it's affecting your mindset, quit. The internet isn't going anywhere.

It's all one long session. Those numbnuts with 73o will suck out short term, and they'll pay off long term.