View Single Post
Old 07-17-2005, 09:30 AM

Default Re: Playing like a maniac (or continuing with the semi-bluff)

How would you describe an "average" opponent? Which game are you playing and how does the "average" opponent play there? I think a lot of this hand depends on how the "average" opponent actually plays, will he ever fold a pair?

Without a more detailed read I will assume that he plays too many hands and takes them too far. He might be slightly too passive also.

I think preflop is pretty bad. I think T9s would be about borderline, but it's probably only slightly -EV.
On the flop I would just give up, if you would have had a gutshot then the raise would be fine. If he would never fould a pair planning to push he off his hand would be a waste of chips. He either has a pair or a draw, but you will only win the pot if he is both on a draw and he doesn't hit anything. Also the pot is really small, investing 3 BB to try to push him off his hand in a 4 SB pot doesn't seem like a good idea to me.

On the turn you are gettng 5-1 odds to call so you are obviously not folding with a like likely 8-11 outs. I don't think there is much chance he will fold so I think a passive call is best.

On the river it depends on if he can ever fold a pair. If he can fold a small pair on the river then I think your bet is correct, but if he never folds a pair I don't think you win often enough for it to be profitable. Since he folded I guess your "average" opponent can fold a pair. The chance that he did not have a pair is rather small here I would guess.

In summary I don't like your play in this hand, but I would be very interested to know which game this was from and how an "average player" plays there.