View Single Post
Old 07-16-2005, 08:20 PM

Default Drawing for Dinner

At our Wednesday game, we realized that the local burrito-joint, for 1 night only, had $2 burritos. That's a good deal, but they won't deliver.

Andy, Bill, Carl, David, & Eric (Names changed to protect the notation.) all want food, but nobody wants to drive. We decide to draw for it, and Eric gets the 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. He loses.

However, as soon as Eric grabs his keys, his girlfriend, Francine, says "Oh, get me some chips while you're out." This isn't fair, so we draw from the (now shuffled) deck for Francine. We agree that we'll break any ties with a coin-flip. She draws the J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], and Eric drives.

After Eric left, we asked the question: "Which method's better for Francine?" MethodA: We draw cards for ABCDEF. MethodB: We draw cards for ABCDE, shuffle, and draw for F, breaking ties with a coinflip.

I already know the answer, because we had fun talking about it for a while. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I'll post our explanation soon.
-Sam