View Single Post
Old 07-16-2005, 10:29 AM

Default Re: Saving my files on an unbootable laptop

Because laptop drives are smaller than those in desktops, you'll need an adapter. This is the one I use, although there are others: SABRENT SBT-UI235 USB 2.0 to IDE ADAPTER

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16812156001

Basically, it allows you to plug a hardrive (notebook or desktop size) into any computer with a USB port. Also, you can just use one part of it and hook the drive directly to an IDE cable in a desktop computer. Most computer stores won't carry this, although I know Fry's Electronics stocks similar solutions, but you may have to mail-order.

Since your drive still attempts to boot into Windows, I expect that the drive is still going to work for you and that Windows on another computer will be able to access your files. However, if your laptop was failing before ever trying to start Windows (resulting in a message on the screen about a damaged hard drive), this solution would probably result in another computer complaing that the drive is damaged or unformatted. In that case, you'd need special software to read and recover the raw data still available.