View Single Post
Old 07-16-2005, 08:49 AM

Default Re: Folding aces, preflop, in a cash game

(For those of you that think there was enough information to answer this question, I want to invite you to our little game on Tuesday nights. See the bottom of this post for details. PM me if you want to play.)

Now, let's add some NECESSARY chip information. Let's assume 2 of the all-ins have all your chips covered, and you will be going broke if you call this with AA and lose.

Yes the play is +EV. Fine. Yes the pot is offering a good price (let's assume 3.5:1 for the time being) for taking the 3:2 semi-coin-flip here. Fine. Yes this makes sense to play.

But for all your money? In a game where the typical game against typical opponents ("this game") is offering 2:1 odds-to-win with decent pot odds, repeating 1 or 2 times every 2 or 3 orbits? In a game where the implied odds can be huge from time to time against a single opponent? Do I push in ALL my chips as a 3:2 favorite in a game like that? No.

But I invite you to my game if you like to do that yourself.

If we were discussing Limit, yes all the arguments for playing are good ones. In Limit you grind out your edges and you have to grind each of them. Note that in Limit the likelyhood of going broke in any spot you choose is fairly remote.

Because you can go completely broke in one hand, and because the game offers dozens of places (over hours) to get your money in as a minimum 2:1 favorite, you must adjust your minimum standards "up" in terms of estimated odds-to-win when picking spots to play for all your money.

3:2 looks pretty good. The poster who says "Yes I will take ALL the 2:1 opportunties AND this 3:2 opportunity" in my view is in error.

Why take a 3:2 for all my money when I can pick from a large list of spots where I am a 2to1, 3to1, 4to1, 5to1 favorite?

If you say "pot odds" you miss the key point about the avoiding risk-of-ruin in cash NLTH. And you're invited.

We are always looking for players that like to get all their money in the pot in 3:2 spots, in a game that consistently offers 3,4,5to1 spots to do the same.

Is 3:2 a "relative coin flip" to 3,4,5:1 spots? You know the correct answer.

In any event, if you are in CT, and you really really like the 3:2 scenario with aces, I sincerely invite you to our Tuesday night tourney NLTH $40 buyin with rebuys weekly event. The field is about 90 people. If you are in Southern CT and you like the aces here, PM me and I'll get you in.
The tourney starts at 7:30 and the cash game (populated by tourney bust-outs) starts around 9:00. Come on down ! WHen you PM me, state that you like 3:2 for all your money in NLTH cash, when that same game is providing numerous 3,4,5to1 spots nearly every orbit.