View Single Post
Old 07-16-2005, 02:06 AM

Default Re: A simple question : for those who want to outlaw abortion

Thanks for explaining your position. I'll just comment on a few things.
[ QUOTE ]
Interestingly enough it is your position which in my opinion devalues human life more so than mine . for if having a life created inside you, having it developement from your body and then bringing into the world should only be seen as an inconvienence than how truly objectionable can deciding to end that process midstream be. You speak of this inconvenience as if it is something that can be forgotten and not one that would affect the mother for the remainder of her life. Atleast I believe giving birth is that significant an experience.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is a misinterpretation of my position. I do believe that pregnancy is a big deal. But I think the conception of a nother being is a bigger deal, and so I value the life of that unborn more than I value the woman's burden of pregnancy.

[ QUOTE ]
I view the decision to create life as this world's most important and I think it should not be hoisted upon someone against their will. The point at which this choice is made is at intercourse. In the absence of that form of free agency I would then allow the woman to consult her own internal set of values to make the decision.

[/ QUOTE ]
Looks like we're at an impasse. I just don't believe that the unborn should suffer the ultimate punishment for something that it had no control over. It perpetuates the cycle of violence. Man rapes woman. Woman kills baby. I acknowledge that the decision to bear children is a huge decision, but I just don't think that choice supercedes the right of that unborn to be given a chance at life.

[ QUOTE ]
It has so far already been determined that the constitution that the life of the unborn is not of equal value to the born. Any further distinctions we make are strictly morale, not legal,and I am quite comfortable with mine.

[/ QUOTE ]
Ah, but we're talking about a hypothetical here, in which abortion is illegal in all but a few certain circumstances. We just happen to disagree as to what the circumstances for allowing abortion are. If we begin to assert that the unborn do have some right to life, than to begin deciding which unborn have this right based on the nature of their conception seems to violate the 14th amendment, imo.

And isn't the placement of some sort of threshold at which an unborn is considered worth enough to society that it warrants protection a moral one? What grounding in the legal system does such an arbitrary number like the third trimester have?