View Single Post
Old 07-15-2005, 12:05 PM

Default Re: Stock Market as a game of Poker?

I play a virtual stock market game from a on line gaming site .....it's played with real money. In the first month of trading I invested 280.00 and the portfolio went up to 4200.00 My problem is that I never know when to get out. Today it's sitting back at 2100.00.

I've been told that when you see it climbing...and this would perhaps pertain to any kind of stock you buy....let it rise to it's peak level....then when you see it drop down 10% sell out as this MAY be a correction in the stock itself. If I had followed this rule of thumb, I would have been able to buy back in with MANY more shares than I originally bought. Making my portfolio worth many times more.

In any case this game pays dividends on one of four virtual companies (randomly selected) each week ....they actually announce the dividend company and give you a chance to invest in it before dividends are paid out....not too much of a gamble there.

But yes ...I would agree...it's like a very long poker game with HIGH STAKES! And just like poker, timing is everything.
Know when to get out.