View Single Post
Old 07-15-2005, 11:30 AM

Default Re: Hypothetical situation, would like some discussion

There are a number of different issues here. Are you trying to maximize your chance of winning the tournament (every dollar is equal), maximize your expected winnings (dollars you lose hurt more than dollars you win help) or have a good run and maybe play against some champions (dollars you lose hurt much more than dollars you win help)? As people have mentioned, do you think you're better (avoid risk) or worse (love risk) than the field.

To simplify, assume you're average and want to maximize your probability of winning. It would take 12.5 all-in bets to win a tournament of 6,000 people. Getting 53% chances instead of 50% more than doubles your chances of winning, from 1 in 6,000 to 1 in 2,888. As an average player, you don't expect to get better than 50% odds for your average all-in bet; so you grab this one.

Of course, you won't win the tournament doing nothing but all-in bets (although it's an interesting strategy to try). But I don't think that matters much in a long tournament. As an average player, you can evaluate each opportunity with "if I did this every hand until I won the tournament, what would be my chances of winning?"

If you think you have better than 1 chance in 2,888 of winning the tournament after folding this hand, you should fold. You don't have to think you're the world's greatest player, just that you can hold your own against the best and can win consistently against the average. My guess is there are about 500 guys (some of them are gals, of course) who have better odds than this of winning the WSOP. You should also fold if you care about maximizing your dollar winnings or avoiding the embarassment of being the first guy eliminated.