View Single Post
Old 07-15-2005, 12:09 AM

Default Re: Flop quiz for you newer guys

Grunching from a strict analysis point of view:

Let's see, what are our options?

Check/Fold: We may very well have the best hand, and if we don't we have five outs to a likely winner and a backdoor flush draw. That's good good to pass up.

Check/Call: Does very little for us, except giving a free card to three people. I don't like this.

Check/Raise: Presuming the CO bets (likely), this faces the field with two cold. It won't get rid of all of them, but any who do increase our chances of our 8's holding up. If the CO 3-bets our raise I suggest calling and check/folding the turn.

Bet out: I doubt this will fold the passives, but it does force the CO to define his hand. If he raises, I'll again call but I'll think he can beat a pair and again c/f the turn UI. If he just calls then that suggests he smells trouble and I can fire away again on the turn.

Given that, I think I like a checkraise here as it does two things I want (improve the odds of my eights holding up and lets me know if the CO truly has a monster). If I check and it's 2 back to me it'llthough I'm probably done with the hand, as I'd give credit to the bettor for a queen and I don't think I have odds to call two, and I don't like being caught in the middle of a betting war.