View Single Post
Old 07-14-2005, 09:32 PM

Default Re: Experimenting with styles: suggestions?

[ QUOTE ]

But what constitutes a "style", other than the very broad definitions of tight/loose, passive/aggressive? What I'm looking for are some suggestions for experiments. Somehow I'm having trouble getting my imagination started on this. Thanks for any ideas you can offer.

[/ QUOTE ]
Here are some possibilities:

[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Change the sizes of your standard preflop raises and standard bets postflop. See what happens if you always bet the pot, or always bet 1/3 of the pot, or always bet twice the pot.

[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Change the frequency with which you bet from the blinds/early position versus check-raise or check and call.

[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Try more continuation bets when you showed aggression on the previous street, but missed. Try fewer continuation bets.

[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Try bluffing more frequently. Try not bluffing.

[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Try bluffing in different situations from when you are used to. Try bluff check-raises. Try bluffing with small bets. Try bluffing with overbets.

[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Try slowplaying more frequently, or with different hands. If you usually do the reverse, see what happens if you slow-play TPTK, or play a set quickly.

[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Try playing differently against particular opponents. For no reason, be very aggressive against player A, and passive against player B.