View Single Post
Old 07-14-2005, 11:13 AM

Default Re: Experimenting with styles: suggestions?

I would agree with Bartman387's recommendation to read Schoonmaker's book or do a search on this site, as he's a frequent contributor. I'm currently rereading the Psychology of Poker. The first time through I found it interesting but I wasn't sure how helpful it would be. As with all the other texts I've read, with each successive reading their content becomes increasingly valuable.

I play small home tourneys where the level of play is inconsistent. When I first started playing I played very tight compared to the competition (following the recommendations for starting hands that I had read in books). To be competitive I'm trying to open up my game.

I haven't read the Fischman article, but I hear all the time on the tv coverage of poker about players "changing gears" and mixing up their play. That's currently what I'm trying to do.

Rather than think of myself as tight or aggressive, loose or passive, I'm trying think situationally. I'm trying to make more positional plays and decisions. I'm also basing my preflop play more on who's in the pot than on what I'm holding. For better or worse, I am also trying to see more flops in the hope that my post flop play will get stronger.

Another thing I have heard commentators mention is how the top players remember how they've played a hand before and will mix up their play. I just pick a few types of hands--like a small pair, or Q10/J9 suited--for the night to vary my play with, taking into consideration my position relative to which players still in the pot.

It helps if you're playing against the same people because you can categorize types, and see what "moves" work against what types. Analyze how you think your opponents perceive you and your play, and consider how you can use that to your advantage. It seems like it would be obvious to you what your normal style is and how others perceive you, but it's all relative to their style and what they consider to be loose or passive, tight or aggressive. Again, Schoonmaker's book will help.

Sorry to be so long-winded, but I'm kind of working on the same thing right now.