View Single Post
Old 07-14-2005, 12:02 AM

Default Re: AQo and AJo question

[ QUOTE ]
no, 4xBB and 5xbb are correct.

you do not want multiple hands calling behind you.

[/ QUOTE ]

It depends on the limit, I suppose. If you are playing a .10 cent BB, "standard" is different than it would be at a $2 BB. You can't raise 5xBB in a 1-2 game (the ones I play in anyways, each table is different I suppose) and get a normal amount of action for your big hands. With say a $2 BB:

2xBB = miniraise always weak, no matter what level, should be avoided and thrown in as a changeup from time to time only.
3xBB = beginning of standard. Here is where pot odds become a decision if it is folded around to the BB. Smaller than 3x should be an autocall with almost any 2 if it's just raiser and BB.
3.5xBB = a number I am becoming increasedly more comfortable with.
4xBB = if the table can handle it, fine.
5xBB = pot building with hands that may have to be played OOP agst the better hands that will get involved for this much.
>5xBB = now we are getting plain silly.

My general thoughts (not specifically directed at you amoeba)--There is nothing wrong with picking a number and opening with it every time no matter what your holding or position. You should never open differently based upon your holding. But, I can see that approach being OK based upon your position. Raise a little more early to get less callers.

We want action when we open for x times the BB with AA, so we have to compromise a little when we open with lesser holdings like AQo or 99 by opening for the same amount as we would if we have AA. (the kind of player who opens for 6xBB with his middle pockets is pretty easy to read) For me, it's 3xBB or 3.5xBB 95% of the time when I am opening, and more than half of that time is "only" 3xBB. Only going higher if the table has shown itself to be able to consistently give play to 4xBB or higher.

(When I play a level lower, with a $1 BB, 4xBB is my choice, because that gets the same amount of action that a 3xBB does one level higher. It's depends alot on which level we are talking about)