View Single Post
Old 07-13-2005, 06:09 PM

Default Failed attempt(s) at stealing.....

Ok, so this hand came up in a 1/2 games on prima earlier. Anyone like it, or do you reckon i'm just spewing chips?

I'm in BB with 88, one caller in MP and then button pops it up to $8. I'm the biggest stack at the table with around $330 in chips, have a fairly aggressive style and have been pretty much controlling the table. Villain has only been sat down for a few orbits and hasnt done much to catch my attention.

Caller folds and we see a flop:

Pot: $19

4s 7c 9s

Not a particularly scary flop, but i check to the raiser (this is probably my 1st mistake....in hindsight a bet would have made more sense).

Button bets $8 and i call. This isn't a very strong bet and continuation bets are the norm in these games. He could easily have overcards here. My plan was to bet out on the turn and try and end the pot right there.

Turn:

Pot:$35

4s 7c 9s 6c

A great card for me as I now have the OE straight draw. I bet out for $18 (too low?) and get called.

Now i'm pretty sure that he has an overpair and am prepared to give up the pot from here on but.....

River:

Pot: $71

4s 7c 9s 6c As

If my read is correct(i like to go with my gut feeling) and the villain does have an overpair then this is a perfect card for another steal so i bet $40. He thinks for a while and calls.

Turns over pocket aces.

Even though I lost the pot, i believe that the majority of my play in this hand was justified and there were many hands that he could be holding that he would have to seriously consider folding to the river bet.

What do you all think?