Thread: JTo in the BB
View Single Post
Old 07-13-2005, 12:28 PM

Default Re: JTo in the BB

[ QUOTE ]
Yuck on the flop raise. First question you have to ask yourself is this: what do you think SB is betting? I would say the great majority of the time he's betting top pair, meaning that you are drawing. If you had a read on SB that he was very LAGish, and therefore may NOT be betting top pair, then a raise would be acceptable. But since you have no such read, I would have to assume he's got a pair of queens. A raise will usually knock out all the people you want to stay in so that they pad the pot while you continue to draw.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the Jim Brier argument that, IMHO, doesn't really apply to many situations. The only times that I will just call in these spots are when a rock bets and when a solid player fires into a large field since he will not be (for example) betting AK into a J97 rainbow flop with 6 other people in the pot. When an unknown bets into a large pot after raising PF, you can't make any kind of assumptions. There are tons of hands that we would like people behind us to throw away, and the pot isn't at the point where people will be calling all the way with a gutshot or bottom pair (correctly at least).

Original Poster: This hand is beautiful IMO.

Brad