View Single Post
Old 07-13-2005, 02:40 AM

Default Re: Perfect Poker Bots

[ QUOTE ]

perfect player would not win everytime.

ex.: if you go all in with 72o and he calls with AA -- mathematically knowing he has the best hand -- is it possible that the board could come 3456X? or 777XX? or 77XXX? or 22XXX? or 89TJX? or..? (i think you get the point). there is something called Luck in poker, so no possible way to be a stagnant winner. you can win more than you lose, but nobody is "undefeated" in poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

he original post was speficially postulating a limit poker situation. Anywhere that the player can control the pot odds to a nearly unlimited degree (NL and PL games) the bot would be easily beat out. And in structured limit games there would be opportunities to beat it out by manipulating pot odds but it wouldn't be enough to offset the "perfect" play of the machine.

By the way anyone who thinks that a computer cannot perform mathematically perfect play has no understanding of how computers work. Anyone who wants to seriously discuss the possibility that mathematically perfect play would be below average in terms of $ won per hand average over a statistically meaningful period I would be willing to explore that possibility my "math gut" tells me that it would be signifigantly above average considering the "typical" online players it would be facing, but I haven't actually done the functions up to say that for sure.

Regardless I can be absolutely certain that a pro that knew he was playing a bot would in short order be able to walk all over it, although if you added in some variance to "perfect play" via a hardware RNG and some serious player tracking it could probably hold it's own against even some of the very strongest players at times, it would most likely go back and forth with the strongest players pulling ahead eventually. Now where it would run into some problems is if it ran into an entire table of people who knew it was a bot and worked together to take it down (not actual collusion though that would obviously work also) in the same way that the "crazy better" that bets at every opportunity might be able to walk all over an average to weak player in headsup play (in limit hold'em) he will always loose to a table of solid players.