View Single Post
Old 06-29-2003, 06:17 PM

Default Re: I know I played wrong, but how? Clarification

My thoughts on this hand. Checking in the big blind with K-Js is fine. You said that you had average chip stack and you get to see the flop for free. K-J, IMHO, is overrated by many players. It gets dominated by several hands and has to be played with caution.

Regarding your play on the flop, you are out of position and there may be four/three players to act behind you (no known whether the small blind is in the pot). When you bet out like this, basically you are on a semi-bluff. You want people to either fold or call. Trying to bluff three/four players is hard and maybe not advisable. Calling hands could be and ace and of course a player with two pair is going to call you. But bottom line is I don't disagree with your play. Normally hand like A-T, A-J (and higher are going to raise pre-flop)so it is natural that you didn't put anyone on an ace. You had a really good chance to win this pot: any spade (9 outs), any jack (2 outs), any ace (3 outs), and the back-door straight draw. Of course, you might have thought that your king was good right there and if not for the nine on the flop it would have been.

Bottom line, IMHO, you made a good play and didn't get there.

Bangtown, USA (pop. 1)