View Single Post
Old 07-12-2005, 11:50 PM

Default Re: Raising middle pairs

[ QUOTE ]
Hi fim,

Thanks for replying.

I wasn't stating my academic "resume," if you will, for any reason other than to show that there isn't necessarily a correlation between intelligence, level of education, or mathematical aptitude and the ability to calculate EV (because for me, my current inability to do so is the result of not knowing how to frame the problem, not a lack of understanding of high school level math). I was in no way trying to start a dick measuring contest over who's a bigger math nerd, as I'm quite certain that this English major/writer/journalist would not fare well in this regard around these parts.

I would find it rather helpful to see a general formula to use in making EV calcuations, and perhaps an application to a simple example.

Also, when I referenced playing "short," I was talking about playing shorthanded, not short-stacked. Doesn't really change a whole lot I suppose, just wanted to clarify.

-neon.

[/ QUOTE ]

Look man, just give it up. Fimbulwinner is smarter than you, and it's not even close. For goodness sakes, he was PAID A LOT OF MONEY TO READ ESSAYS AND SCREEN APPLICANTS. And he's smart enough to pull off the whole "I'm ignoring you (but really I'm not and I'm quoting your posts)" routine, which I haven't seen since perhaps 9th grade. Did I mention he was PAID A LOT OF MONEY in one of his jobs? Clearly you lose the dick measuring contest.

And fimbul, awesome jab at the end of your post there. You're definitely not 12. Here's a tip: don't respond to posts if you "haven't read" them. You either come off as an immature liar, or someone who doesn't really know what the thread originally asked. And since you haven't pretended to block me yet, I might point out that this is about as far from a simple math problem as you can get. He's asking about theory here... if someone knew precisely how often a player would fold to a raise, would get stacked with top pair or top two, would get stacked against a limper, etc, then obviously this would be a simple math problem. But that's not the question. The question is asking for personal theories and heuristics to take the place of hard data in terms of the frequency of the above events. None of us knows exactly how often these things happen... so we're trying to figure out what each of us has come up with.