View Single Post
Old 07-12-2005, 09:15 PM

Default Re: 30/60 canterbury vs worm33

hi skp

did worm win it? hurricane season here and haven't had a lot of time to read all threads.

people should spend time reading some of mason's posts about how to play against good aggressive opponents. they are not easy to contend with in many situations, and while these type opponents are profittable, you need razor sharp skill to avoid the many pitfalls presented in the course of an average session with an aggressive in there.

anyway skp, i feel badly because i don't have the real quality teaching techniques that mason and sklansky bring to the forum. i am not expressing what is really happening in the hand as i should be, and not explaining how to handle the particular situation like mason and sklansk. i don't know a lick of jui jitsu, but as a hand unfolds, i beginning thinking in jui jitsu terms. other times, i see things in boxing terms. when i see a player throwing punches when he should be jui jitsuing and visa versa, it really....you know? i get....you know what i mean?

it's disheartening because i cannot adequately explain, really explain why the player should be doing one thing rather than another. it's like, 'that's a jui jitsu situation....no, no, that one is a boxing situation.' but if i take the time to explain one from the other, even i walk away not seeing the difference between the two situations myself.

the main problem is that the rythym of the game plays such an important role in determining what to do. a single hand has no rythym. i would infer that rythym must also be important in martial arts and boxing. posters often do very well, without knowing it, of replicating the game's rythym on paper. you can pick it up.

mike caro says he can close his eyes, turn his ear toward his opponent's hand, and hear what is going on. not too shabby. wasn't radar the deciding factor in the second world war?