View Single Post
Old 07-12-2005, 08:36 PM

Default Re: Raising middle pairs

[ QUOTE ]
I don't do it very much online until I build a stack (150xBB or greater) there is no reason to. I also wouldn't recommend it for 3/6 or lower, no reason. 5/10 and higher when you start to play with the same people everyday you have to start raising with a wide array of hands. When you play live (5/5 or higher), the stacks are often really deep so there is more room for creativity postflop, this move just helps throw your opponents off. Ice what hands do you raise with now? It sounds like you have a good system for the limits you play now, I don't think raising pairs would help, but against more observant, aggressive, tricky opponents, it becomes standard....

[/ QUOTE ]

I raise most of the standard raising hands of course ( AA-TT, AK/AQ). I also limp AK/AQ/AJ depending on position and who is in the hand. What I like to do to throw off the opponent is raise suited connectors (instead of middle pairs), raise from the button with just about anything if there is a limper or 2 who folds too much...and I also limp in EP with big pairs quite a bit.

Also, at Prima there is usually 2-4 short stacks (like 10-20BBs). If those guys are between me and the button, I cant see any reason to raise anything except a premium hand because they are liable to go all in with any hand they want to play.

My preflop raise % is about 4% but I limp in EP with AA and KK alot.

I know that has nothing to do with this "raising middle pairs" thread. I just thought I would mention it.

Can someone tell me how asking about raising middle pairs is a pure math question? If I raise to 4BBs with 66 and I get reraised to 10BBs and i think the guy has AA and I can bust him if I hit a set , would be a pure math question depending on stack sizes.....but the general question about raising preflop is not a pure math question.