View Single Post
Old 07-12-2005, 05:22 AM

Default Re: A simple question : for those who want to outlaw abortion

Meh, I don't know. I believe in arguments, in certain arguments winning based upon principles both parties agree with.

If there was an argument either for or against abortion that led to a conclusion based on postulates both sides accepted as true, then that would be what I would vote for. There are obvious cases when a majority feels something, and they are going to be completely wrong. Just because people say the earth is flat doesn't mean it's not flat. Just because a majority of people believe in slavery doesn't mean it's right. And there's no way murder shouldn't be outlawed.

Personally, my beliefs on how a government tend to be altruistic, and outlawing practices that hurt the group as a whole (overuse of resources, bootlegging, stealing, etc.) and encouraging practices that help the group as a whole (charity, taxation, investment, etc.).

Note: This isn't going to be tyranny of the majority, as the number of people isn't all that's being considered. What I'm talking about is population size * what people get out of it (as defined numerically).