View Single Post
Old 07-12-2005, 04:42 AM

Default Re: A simple question : for those who want to outlaw abortion

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Now, this is why I hate moral issues. There's no way to judge truth, and you have to pick a side here.

What I'm saying in my mind is that a human fetus is worth protecting, but it's worth less than a born human.

[/ QUOTE ]

You only need to determine why you believe this to be true? what are you basing this on? Are you using an overriding principle that can be applied to other issues? And then finally what are the consequences and extentions of this belief.

I don't have any problem with your belief per se, I am just curious as to how you arrived at it. I would expect that you would be as well.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I am. How did you arrive at your conclusion? I think about brainwave patterns, development, the fact that a fetus is a human life...

I suppose part of the reason we protect beating pregnant woman more is that the fetus is valued. Sometimes it isn't.

I don't know, I'm just rambling. I can't back up my views, but I am saying there is that person who will criminalize abortion but not put it as the going rate for manslaughter/murder.

I guess I think of becoming a human as a slope, and not a series of jumps.

There's the single-celled organism which you can't tell apart from a bacteria. There's an embryo that for all intents and purposes could be a bird embryo except for the DNA inside it. There's the fetus that can begin to feel and touch. And there's the newborn baby, complete with eyes, brain, nose, and a mouth that yells so loudly... Personally, I don't think killing a 2 year old should be a crime. (jopking)

Meh, I don't know. I have a lot of trouble with moral issues.