View Single Post
Old 07-12-2005, 02:39 AM

Default Re: Things I never do

victor is right.

play poker. make good decisions. who cares about a few points of vpip. one thing i realized recently is you have to stay within yourself and play your game. Each of us have particular strengths and weakness. while that's not to imply we shouldn't try to indentify and improve our weakness, the margin betwen excellent and mediocre poker is slim, and it only takes one hand per 100 that you screw up to really cut into that thin margin.

so don't focus on stats, or arbitrray rules like raise JTs here or there--instead, just play and focus on things like "how could I have played that hand differently"- have I considered all three options (bet/raise, call/check, fold) before I acted. the more you think about the game the more you will begin to **recognize** where to improve your play and perhaps add hands/moves.

its not steadfast rules or relative absolutes you want- its better poker thinking. so instead of searching for rules, practice thinking- play fewer tables and enage your imagination.

I sound like a condescending ass so ignore the tone and seriously try fewer tables and more situational, read based decision-making. Its the nuts