View Single Post
Old 07-11-2005, 10:33 PM

Default Things I never do

Alright, it's getting to be that time. Low 20s VPIP with a 17ish PFR just isn't cutting it anymore.

Problem is, I'm having trouble finding where to fix my hands.

Now if I'm correct, the increased calling and raising standards are pretty much read dependent, so obviously some of the suggestions I'm looking for aren't changes to my default play. Though if you spot any holes, let me know

What I am trying to find are things that I'm not doing enough preflop, areas where I can look to increase my comfort level first. Since VP$IP is strongly correlated with PFR, I expect most of the answers will involve raises rather than calls, but I'll go down the list anyway.

--Open outside the blinds with small pocket pairs 22-44
--Open in EP/MP with suited connectors smaller than T9s
--Open with unsuited connectors smaller than JTo anywhere
--Come in with steal hands (Kxs, Ax, 66-- with a limper)
--Coldcall or call a raise from the SB (reraise or fold)
--Open limp, from any position
--Steal with offsuit hands with a 2 or 3 except from the SB
--3bet without a high quality hand except from the BB, or a pair 55+ in the SB (specifically hands like KJ/ATs/66 get tossed to an EP raise).
--Steal with no hand whatsoever (though I will steal from the SB with ATS against someone who folds their BB too much, but not from the button)
--Open raise with low (A8--) aces in the CO, same with K8o and lower.

I'm sure there's a lot more I'm not doing, since I'm close to 10% shy of an 'expert-level' VP$IP. I'll get into postflop stuff later too, but I'm sort of curious what sort of weaker hands I'd be best looking at playing preflop.