View Single Post
Old 07-11-2005, 08:34 PM

Default Re: Manual Drivers: Are they better drivers?

I think this question is incredibly deceptive.

According to how many accidents they get into, non-elderly women are by far the best drivers, but how do you define "best"? Do they really turn corners better, etc.? Probably, with all their own flaws, they're just not as much macho jerks as guys are.

Young guys may drive better, but they take more chances, so even if they're better drivers, they could come out as "worse" when you ask yourself -- do I really want to be on the road next to this guy? Do I care if he can do Starsky and Hutch moves and is obviously a "better" driver, or do I just want to get home to my family tonight?

I think guys and better drivers are drawn to sticks, because they make you consciously drive more and pay attention to the road more, which is a good thing. However, that's also the group more likely to let their ego get into their driving, and more natural risk takers.

Soccer Mom doesn't want to test the limits of her Volvo station wagon, and even though she probably handles her car worse than a lot of 22 year old hotshot boys, for the purposes that count, she probably IS a better driver. No mad skillz, but being a good driver is about a lot more than that. Especially the important/boring parts.