View Single Post
Old 07-11-2005, 12:16 PM

Default Re: Learning hold em for a total beginner

I think that reading and playing are the two most obvious ways for him to learn. "Getting Started in Hold'em" is probably the perfect first book. I would also go for "Small Stakes Hold'em" after that. Then probably Theory of Poker (personally I think it defines pot odds, implied odds, and reverse implied odds the best of the texts I have read).

I think playing hands with cards face up and "fake" players would be a good idea too. How about watching some old WSOP tapings on TV so that he can watch players and see their cards (be sure that he knows these players play in ways that he doesn't even want to think about yet). But it will at least get him more exposure to the game.

I think that you should just start with a single table when you are playing and he is watching. Him watching you multi-table is going to be hard to keep up with and is really just you showing off. (You can show off once he knows how to play on one table).

Then let him play. And yeah, I think the .50/1 games are a great idea. Anyone who says you are going to lose money because too many calling stations are calling you down just doesn't know how to beat that game and should read SSHE. Besides, I really think you can make a solid side income from the low limit games ($2-4, $3-6) if you play 4 tables at a time.

Like anything else (incl. poker) I think the key will be patience. Your patience with him not to push him to far and his patience with learning and winning. Good luck.