View Single Post
Old 06-26-2003, 07:00 AM

Default Re: The worst mistakes in NL are made with drawing hands

One thing you notice is that some players think that the more you semibluff, the better you are at poker. Give them a draw on the flop and WHAM! all the chips go in the middle. ("I have two ways to win!") The problem these people make is twofold:

1) They fail to understand that not all draws are created equal. The bigger the draw, the more freely you can semibluff. If you have a really big draw like nut flush draw with two overcards you might even be the favorite to win by the river, so the risk isn't so great. The usual considerations regarding putting all your chips in on a coin flip might apply, though.

2) They fail to evaluate the likelihood that their bluff will induce a fold. This is just based on hand reading skills, knowing your opponent, etc. Trying to run an opponent off a hand he won't lay down doesn't become any smarter of a play just because you have 6 outs.

The expert says: "He will probably fold, but even if he doesn't, I have 10-12 outs on the river"

The aspiring expert says: "He might fold, you never know, and I have at least some outs if he doesn't, so let's call for Captain Semibluff!!"

No question the semibluff is a powerful play, but I think it is incredibly overused. The rails at any tournament are full of people who pushed their chips in every time they got a draw, and what's worse is, they feel like they busted out playing good poker. Just like every other play, you need to pick your spots for the semibluff.