View Single Post
Old 07-10-2005, 06:09 PM

Default Re: My lone post about PE/Party/whiners/business logic

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[14:54] sfer: PE sells and redistributes data. That's the difference.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely wrong. PE sells access to the crunched results of the data. They don't sell any hand histories and you don't get to save any of the data on your system. Providing a value-added service to publicly available information is completely ethical and the foundation of many businesses in many industries.

I'm absolutely mind-boggled sthief can draw a line at PE, but not PT or other data mining. It's all flavors of the same tool. I think it's purely a selfish thing. He likes PT so he believes PT should be allowed, but he doesn't like PE so therefore it must be over the line.

Then the line about "enough luck in limit that PT/PV/etc" don't matter is complete hipocracy. Enough luck for those dataminers and HUDS (which he likes), but there isn't enough luck for other datamining/hud tools? Sthief has contributed oodles to the forum, it's clear he's very smart and a logical thinker. I just don't get how someone with a history of logical htinking can objectively draw that line and say that "it completely crosses the line" as if it's some black/white issue.

Take a stand on one side or the other.

Oh...if I offer my 80,000 hands of PT data for sale, for say $20, should I be banned from party? I worked to gather it, why can't I sell it to whoever I want? What if I want to give it away?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the most intelligent post on the issue I've seen yet. Agreed in full re: PE as a 100% ethical value added service based on freely available data. As I've said elsewhere, any one person could do everything PE does, if he/she went out and got a truckload of computers, set them to observe 16 tables each all day, and then channeled all the data through a central D/B. The fact that we hire PE to do this for us has no impact on the essential fact that all we're talking about is public information (either raw or processed).