View Single Post
Old 07-10-2005, 02:50 AM

Default Re: 3 Questions (General, Long)

[ QUOTE ]
This structure gives alot of play. We usually have between 6-9 players playing. Now this is really general, but I know that typical SNG strategy is to play really tight early and stick to really premium hands, then once the blinds get really high, start to steal the blinds based on ICM calculations.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well that is really more of a strategy for beating Party SNGs, with 2000 chips stacks and longish blind levels you are gonna have to get in there and play some poker, build a stack and worry about the other stuff as the stacks get shorter.

[ QUOTE ]
I think that the ICM theory is really neat, but I have a question. I use this site here
to calculate the $EV. How exactly is this calculated. Is it % / of total chips x Prize pool? I was thinking about this, and tell me where I am wrong.

10 people start with 1000 chips each. This is a ten dollar tournament with a total prize pool of 100 dollars. Payouts are .5/.3/.2. If you end up with all the chips you win 50 dollars. So isn't each chip worth $.005 ? With 1000 chips isn't your $EV 1/10 of 1/2 of prize pool? So isn't your $EV at the start 5 dollars?

[/ QUOTE ]

You are ignoring the chance of winning 2nd or 3rd place prize money. As you say 10000 chips only gets you $50, but thats becasue the other $50 has already been payed out.