View Single Post
Old 07-09-2005, 11:38 PM

Default Re: Punishing limpers (Results)

[ QUOTE ]
What do you do, sit down, wait for some limpers then hit-and-run and move on to another table?

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't do that, but maybe it would be profitable.

[ QUOTE ]

You can't do this more than once or twice,

[/ QUOTE ]
My first push may be anything, including a strong hand. I take into account the possibility someone will make a big call on my second push, so I tighten up a lot on my second push. I've often doubled up with something like QQ vs. KQ or AA vs. 88 on my second push.

There was a big discussion of the strategy of pushing from the BB with any two in the SNG forum. (It is very common for the stacks to be about 10 BB in a tournament.) Some winning players do this, but people are very averse to calling them with a hand like 55, even though there is a good chance it is not a coin-toss. I doubt most cash game players have thought about how exploitable it is to limp in front of a short stack, which is why I posted here.

[ QUOTE ]
and buying in that short is terrible in general.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think you are wrong. It's unfashionable. It really annoys some people who associate short stacks with bad play. However, buying in short is a reasonable strategy, particularly if you know how to use a short stack well, which I believe I do. I also know how to play with a deep stack, but I don't always want to do that.

I'll add that I'm overbankrolled for NL £200. I'm not trying to minimize variance.