View Single Post
Old 07-09-2005, 12:51 PM

Default Re: A Looming Republican Fissure?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
That's fine and I don't disbelieve you, but the poll I quoted specifically explains exactly what Roe v Wade does in its question.

[/ QUOTE ]

As if all your poll respondents understand the practical difference between being legal by legislation or by constitutional right.

[/ QUOTE ]This might be a valid point, except the question that fully explained Roe v Wade got exactly the same results as other polls (give or take one point). That would mean, according to your theory, that nobody understands what a constitutional right is, and that is not possible.[ QUOTE ]
Most states have passed laws to cover the possibility of the overturning of Roe, so the coat hanger/back alley rhetoric is just demogoguery.

[/ QUOTE ]But not all states have, so it isn't just rhetoric. It will happen.

The point is overturning Roe v Wade, while it wouldn't directly influence most people's lives, will still hurt the Republican Party nationally.

Regional differences are not as drastic as what you all seem to be making them. If John Kerry's national numbers compared to the numbers of the reddest red state only differ by about 12%, then what makes any of you think they'll differ more when it comes to abortion?

My point being that Roe v Wade currently shields Republicans from having to really take a stance on abortion. Once it is left up to Southern Republican legislatures to legalize or make illegal abortion, they're going to have some internal problems within the party.

Utah is the only place they could make abortion illegal without offending the majority.