View Single Post
Old 07-08-2005, 03:22 PM

Default Re: Hey

I am currently reading this book. So far, it seems pretty good, but makes occasional points that strike me as questionable. For instance, they suggest that buying in for the minimum is a bad idea, because the big stacks will bully you. However, it seems to me that if you have a short stack, you are harder to bully, since you don't have much more money at risk. I have often been in the situation, where I could call all-in for a flush draw on the flop with proper odds, because I was short stacked, where if I had a bigger stack, I would have been bullied out of the pot. Granted this has some drawbacks, since you will not be able to bluff (which is often pointless at the small buy in online games I play in) and you won't be able to win as much or play as many hands since your implied odds are greatly reduced. I think they should have given a full discussion, but instead they just say, always buy in for the maximum.

So far, I think the good content outways some advice I find questionable (maybe not quite incorrect but not fully discussed either). I hope the material will improve my NL cash game play, and I have found some material I intend to put into my game the next time I play.