View Single Post
Old 07-08-2005, 02:28 PM

Default Re: Is this a terrrible play or am I a big dummy?

[ QUOTE ]
All EV considerations should be trumped by eliminating the final player who stands in the way of guaranteed profit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong! Sorry, but this is very, very wrong. The difference between 4th and 3rd is $400. The difference between 3rd and 2nd is $200. The difference between 2nd and 1st is $400. You should play to maximize your total profit. You are not anybody's friend at the table and any advantage you pass up means less $$ for you. Period. I don't really see this a a matter of personal philosophy, unless you play the free money tables.

[ QUOTE ]
Also, I probably deserve the lectures on being a table coach, but this type of play is one of my great pet peeves. It worked out ok for me this time, but I've been eliminated more than once when people make unthinking dry bluffs with a player all-in 4 handed which then allows that player to comeback.

[/ QUOTE ]
Maybe it was +$EV for the player who bluffed at the dry side pot to, if he couldn't eliminate the all-in player, let him survive (not let you eliminate him and get his chips) to divide and conquer. One opponent with 5k chips is usually much tougher to beat than 2 with 2.5k, if for no other reason that you will have to post fewer blinds compared to the number of times you will be able to steal the blinds.

SlimP