View Single Post
Old 07-08-2005, 11:45 AM

Default Re: Hate Crime Legislation

I dont think a terrorist crime can or should be defined by the number of simultaneous victims. The Columbine shooting can hardly be referred to as a terrorist crime.

Terrorist crimes, to me, have two attributes one to cause fear that lasts beyond the actual commission of the particular crime. 9/11 is terrorist by this attribute as the reason and reaction lasted far longer than for example the fear of the beltway bandit. The second attribute is that a terrorist crime has as its motive an attack on the entire group being so terrorized, not just the particular victim(s). Again 9/11 is targetting all Americans and not just the ones in the WTC that day.

Terrorist crimes and Hate crimes are closely related though not quite the same. Hate crimes are often spontaneous as opposed to planned attacks on the group that is being hated.

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah. Put some words in people's mouths. This is a really intellectually lazy and reprehensible debate tactic. I'm adjusting your credibility level downward accordingly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just asking!

I am adjusting your touchiness quotient accordingly. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]