View Single Post
Old 07-07-2005, 11:05 PM

Default Re: Simon Trumper\'s reply on ESPN

[ QUOTE ]
Why does anybody need 5 minutes to make a decision?

[/ QUOTE ]

No one ever takes ten minutes to make a decision and a five minute decision is so rare as to be non-existent. I've never really seen anybody take five minutes to make a decision, but at the poker table seconds seem like minutes.

I've had the clock called on me for taking 30 seconds, and this was when I had an important decision to make. But take note that 99% of the time my decision was to call or fold--not raise.

I've seen players take it real personal when they have the clock put on em and then they start putting the clock on people, and back and forth, but so what? It happens. But it doesn't happen every hand, people get over it, and the game usually goes back to normal.

Sometimes, playing no-limit, you actually need a minute or two to let the gravity of the situation sink in. And by a minute or two I actually mean 30-60 seconds, because like I said before 60 seconds can seem like an eternity for the player involved and the other players at the table.

I've put the clock on people lots of times, especially those who take inordinate amounts of time to fold (ex. Devilfish). What they're doing gets to be kind of ridiculous, and everybody knows what they're doing, and some people just get tired of it and "put the clock on em."

I didn't witness this particular event, but I would guess that time gets stretched under the pressure of the situation and things can become exaggerated. Still and all, if someone took two minutes to raise me with the nuts and then slow rolled me when I called I would get damn pissed off about it. But that's just me--I'm human.