View Single Post
Old 07-07-2005, 04:38 PM

Default Re: Why dont you give away your money to poor people?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
IMHO, the blame the poor is an excuse privileged people use to justify to themselves that they are where they are and other people are worse off because they don't work as hard. I've worked with a lot of people who have two college educated parents, went to a very high quality high school, graduated college without any debt with spring breaks in Cancun, got a car as a graduation gift, a down payment for a house from mome and dad, etc., etc., and believe they really worked hard and struggled to get where they are, and that anybody who wants to succeed should work as hard as they did, and they'll get there too.

[/ QUOTE ]
This was posted elsewhere, and I didn't write it, but I quoted it anyway because it applies.

Ignoring appeals to help the poor is a lot easier when we tell ourselves they're just lazy and irresponsible, and that we somehow EARNED our own good fortune.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. This is especially important on 2+2 where so many of us are making so much for doing so little. No one here should feel obliged to give to the poor, that's obviously a personal decision, but people should feel obliged to at least be aware of the reality of the situation.