View Single Post
Old 07-07-2005, 01:15 PM

Default Re: Ciaffone books

Again, I'm new to this industry, but these were my thoughts:

Ciaffone's Amazon numbers may be inflated (high sales, lower number in sales rank) with respect to his total sales, but his books physical visibility is relatively low, thus his Amazon numbers get hit a bit. So on one hand, he gets a nice boost on Amazon because physical bookstores don't carry them, but he doesn't have the visibility at physical bookstores, so that should hurt his Amazon sales some.

In other words, having books out in Barnes & Noble / Borders physical stores should help sales in Amazon because of the visibility of the actual book in stores. I often go to the physical bookstores and browse. If there is something interesting that I like, I jot it down in my palm pilot. When I get a chance at home, I search through the book titles on Amazon and buy it there at a cheaper price. This saves me money and costs me just 30 seconds per book title that I search. I don't know how many others are like me, but I imagine some poker readers do that too.

How important is one factor relative to the other? I don't know. My initial thought was that they were relatively close and thus negate each other. I'd assume you'd disagree based on your post.