View Single Post
Old 07-06-2005, 10:48 PM

Default Re: Simon Trumper\'s reply on ESPN

[ QUOTE ]
The argument over whether it was two or five or ten minutes is a stupid distraction from the central issue.

TWO MINUTES IS WAY, WAY TOO LONG TO STALL WITH THE NUTS.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're painting the picture with way too broad of a brush, here. Just because he had "the nuts" doesn't mean he can't go into the tank and think how he can extract the most chips.

The way Simon seems to put it, Barry called off all his chips to prove Simon was stalling with the nuts. Hindsight being twenty-twenty, of course, any poker player would do the EXACT SAME THING if they could get Barry to call off all his chips in that scenario.

Do you think Barry is calling off all his chips of Simon raises all in after thinking for, say, 10 seconds? I highly doubt it. He can come on here and provide a methodical reason for calling off all his chips here, but I fail to see one. Villain checks, hero bets over half his stack, and villain checkraises all-in. To give rough math, that is 99% "Barry is screwed", and 1% "Bluff of the century".

This can be a scenario where we agree to disagree, but the fact Simon had "the nuts" did not have a significant impact on Simon's decision. The idea, at this point, was to get the remaining chips Barry had. If Simon felt that by tactfully waiting out and thinking for 2 minutes would get him those extra chips more often than thinking 20 seconds, the WHY NOT DO IT? Ethics aside, that's another 10,000 chips or so, which is another third of an average stack. That's enormous. And well worth thinking over, in my opinion.