View Single Post
Old 07-06-2005, 03:58 PM

Default Piniella slides a little further off the deep end

http://www.sptimes.com/2005/07/06/Ra...o_starti.shtml

With Lance Carter's implosion in Tuesday's 6-4 loss to the White Sox the latest debacle, manager Lou Piniella apparently felt there is no way any of the Devil Rays relievers can protect a lead in the eighth inning.

So he decided his next move is to try something that is totally different, potentially controversial and perhaps unprecedented.

Starting tonight, Piniella said he will use a reliever for the first two innings, then bring in his scheduled starter with the idea that he can pitch through the eighth before yielding to closer Danys Baez.

"I've made up my mind, and that's what we're going to do," Piniella said. "People are going to think I'm crazy, but we're just going to try it.

"Starting (tonight). I'll bring in whatever reliever I feel like starting the game with, and I'll bring my starter in in the third inning and we'll play nine innings of baseball that way. I'm serious."

Piniella first mentioned the idea last weekend, then dismissed it over concern for the starters' physical preparation.