View Single Post
Old 07-06-2005, 02:05 PM

Default Re: 2+2 Stock Trading Competition

Hi Dan,
As I posted earlier wildwood = paral2004lax-ebay on the virtual competition. I never received a screen name option when I registered.
About your question, here are my thoughts. I've been an active stock and commodities trader for quite a long time. I belong to several investing/trading live groups. That doesn't mean I'm a good or bad trader/investor, just giving you some background. I've made every mistake that can be made and probably learned a little along the way. Since the objective of the competition is to win, I think about my strategy just a little differently than my own portfolio. I hold the view that gold is in a secular bull market that has a long way to go. We are just coming off a bottom in precious metals at the same time that you started this competition. Gold juniors are risker, but provide the biggest gains in the cyclical upmoves. So I decided to load the boat with a canadian gold junior listed on the amex. I've already looked closely at your strategy and it's a good one. You're riding the energy trend with a chunk on biotech. CCj seems to be a play on energy and pm's. Four months is the blink of an eye in investing/trading so timing is extraordinarily important here. I theorized that if gold moves up during the next 8 to 12 weeks and oil runs into any corection at all, that would give me an advantage. As far as yamana itself, I listened to a one hour wecast by the ceo at a gold ceo roundtable. I believe it's a promising company, but riskier because of it's small size. I own 500 shares which is a very small part of my assets. I'm much more diversified in my real porfolio, but I'm very heavily weighted in pm's. Read Jim Roger's new book "Hot Commodities" fwiw

edit: To all, do your own research before you buy or sell anything with real money.