Thread: Ethics Question
View Single Post
Old 07-06-2005, 11:45 AM

Default Re: Ethics Question

[ QUOTE ]
1. What do you think of the player who clearly saw the error in progress and did not say anything about it?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the player made the worst decision possible. Particularly in a game that can be hurt in the long term by the alienation and loss of a weak player, all players have a responsibility to make sure that players who go home losing feel like the game was square.

I can understand not speaking up during a hand that you're not involved in--it's often hard to know whether you will do more harm than good to the dynamic of the table by butting in when it's "none of your business." If I made the decision not to correct the dealer during the hand, however, I would keep my mouth shut about the error afterwards. You NEVER want to create the perception that a game is not on the level, or to create a situation where a live player who just lost a big pot has to give up more money in a fashion that is likely to make him extremely upset, possibly causing him to quit the game or, even worse, to go lose his money in the pit instead next time.

[ QUOTE ]
2. Was the button correct to just let it go?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.

But he should have spoken to the dealer, his floorperson, and the shift manager after the dealer pushed out of the game.

[ QUOTE ]
3. Should the dealer be reported, and how serious of an error is this?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.

It's a pretty big error, and one that is easily avoided by a dealer who is conscientious about following the action and collecting and pulling bets using a consistent procedure.

scrub