View Single Post
Old 07-06-2005, 09:09 AM

Default Re: How long until the first person is knocked out?

The situation for someone to be knocked out on the first hand is probably a bit different than what you describe.

In the $3k NL event on Friday my table had a player knocked out on the very first hand.
It's not the main-event...but it's a pretty good sized event still (1010 players at $3k apiece...1st place paid $650k).

Here's the situation...only 4 players are at the table (lots of late arrivals...everyone was there within 3-5 minutes...but for the VERY first hand it was just 4 of us).

UTG (who is actually in the CO) limps, I fold the button. SB completes.

Flop is 679r.

UTG and SB: bet, raise, re-raise and then go all-in and call.

It's my very first hand at ANY WSOP and I'm looking back and forth at the betting and am thinking "Holy Crap!! WTF are these guys doing?"

Flop was 679
UTG has T8o for the nut-straight.
SB has 99 for top-set.

The straight holds up...SB is history. Dealer shouts "Seat open, Table 189!" and everyone around us is staring at our table and thinking "What the hell happened over there?"

I was sitting next to the guy who had the straight and we became chatty over the next several hours (and the next day I bumped into him at the Bellagio and we talked some more).

I had witnessed quite an impressive hand in my WSOP debut.
...in a few minutes it was the two of us sandwiched between two world-champs (Huck Seed and Tom McEvoy).